Monday, October 21, 2013

Writing Competition Success

If you look at most New Zealand writer biographies there is a competition win or a short listed story mentioned that leads to future success in publication.
Following this apparent approach to success, I have been entering literary competitions. At the same time as filling out the forms and diligently attempting to follow the layout rules, I have been keeping in mind the words a successful New Zealand writer once told me, "The chance of winning a competition is the same as finding a needle in a haystack."
A few weeks ago I received back an email from a competition I had entered. I hardened my soul for the rejection.
But no...
I had to read the email several times. My piece was short listed!
I didn't really believe it. I had to keep reading the email to double check I was right.
The next stage in the competition involves 40% of the judging being placed on public opinion. I told only a few people until this part was made public mostly because I still couldn't believe I was short listed.
I had felt the prick of that needle hidden in the hay.
So here it is the public survey for the 2013 Kobo/NZ Authors E-Publishing Prize.

http://www.authors.org.nz/rsfawcs0141035/survey.htm

I can add "short listed for the 2013 Kobo/NZ Authors E-Publishing Prize" to my biography. I am intrigued to see if this will make a difference to acceptance for publication of other work.
Now to await the results of the next stage of the competition when the winners are announced in November.

No comments:

5 Favourite Sights Seen

  • 1996 Watching tropical lightning turn night to day, outside a little wooden church in a small village in Sabah.
  • 2004 Flying down the Rainbow Valley at 8000ft in a cessna on a clear blue day.
  • 2003 Seeing and hearing Michael Schmacher rolling out of the pit garage in his Ferrari in Hungary.
  • 2009 Chancing upon 100 or more dolphins just off the Kaikoura Coast swimming around, jumping out of the water, doing somersaults and generally having fun.
  • 2006 Finding a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura that was full of playing baby seals.